During the first, formative centuries of its existence, the Ottoman state typically grounded its claims to legitimacy in…
1. He that hunts religion for sensual strength shall be Aqta‘, the Actaeon deceived by Diyana’s crescent crown.
2. In the Time of Turbulence, God gives you all you need behind your private door: perfume, prayer, woman.
3. Feel sorry for the moderns, for they never know desire.
4. Never, never, never, grow old in vain.
5. Respect the young, for they are likely to be closer to the fitra than you.